Sunday, July 14, 2019

Elizabeth Malone

Elizabeth (Betty) Malone is not only one of the absolute best pie bakers west of the Mississippi, but also an aspiring artists creating great works of art in ceramics.




Bio:  
My name is Elizabeth “Betty” Malone, and my art is functional pottery.  I’ve been active in the living history community since I was three years old, primarily in the northern Illinois area, though our family moved to Kansas City 10 years ago.  I began throwing pottery in 2002 after the untimely passing of my father, then, after a 12-year hiatus, I picked it up again, with the goal of recreating 18th century functional pottery.   I love learning new aspects of ceramics and taking on new challenges. 

In selecting a piece to display, I considered one of the most common pieces of functional ceramics of the day; the chamber pot.    Below is my interpretation of a slip trailed earthenware chamber pot from the early part of the 18th century (albeit before it was fired) along with a picture of the original in the Victoria and Albert museum.   

Photo of Elizabeth's Piece of Art:


          
 


Elizabeth will be at the 2019 CLA Show so be sure and stop by the New & Aspiring Artists table to visit with her.  You can also contact Elizabeth at:  emalone31579@gmail.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment